Pages

28 November 2005

Autumn Leaves



I realised I haven't posted any pics of Japan. Being the slack cow that I am, I usually forget to take the camera with me and, even if it's in my bag, forget to take photos. The photo above is the only one I took over the weekend when I was in Yamanaka at the base of Mount Fuji, at a friend's holiday house. This is the view from the balcony at about 8.00am of Fuji-san who decided to make a rare appearance without its usual shroud of clouds.

It was marvellous to get out of Tokyo for the weekend. Yamanaka ko (lake) is about 100 kilometres west of Tokyo; about an hour and a half's drive away.

Autumn is the best time of year in Tokyo. So far, we have not had any electric thunderstorms, typhoons, significant earthquakes, torrential downpours, flooding, lightning strikes, volcanic eruptions, rainy season, fires, golf-ball sized hailstones, famine or plagues of locusts. It's all good.

The mountains looked beautiful with their splendid array of autumnal colours. I think I'm heading back there in a couple of weeks, so will make a concerted effort to take more photos and hope that there are some leaves left on the trees.

The weekend passed as though in a time-warp. Although only away from Tokyo for two days, the silence, the space and the fresh air created a bizarre continuum and I felt as though I had been away for weeks. However, speeding along the expressway leading into Tokyo yesterday made me see the city with new eyes. I wanted to be back. I was coming home.

4 comments:

  1. Welcome back, Gaijin Girl! Mt. Fuji sounds so beautiful, but it is nice to be home, right!
    Does your mum get upset too when you refer to Tokes as "home"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi thnx mate. Great to be back. Have a week of fun outings so am very excited!

    Mum's not too fussed. Generally, wherever I happen to place my head for the night is home...

    I'll send you an email once I've met this looming deadline.

    ReplyDelete
  3. CANT BELIEVE THAT IS MT FUJI AND YOU WERE SO CLOSE. I PAINTED A PAINTING OF MT FUJI IN YEAR 11. HOW BIZARRE.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey sis,

    glad u stopped by! hehe. thought the other one had taken you away.

    ya it was so amazingly beautiful there. next time i go, we're driving up to the fifth station which is about half way up the mountain and will have a walk around from there, depending on how freezing it is!

    ReplyDelete