Pages

18 January 2006

Dance Dance Dance

"The clock is ticking, the hours are going by. The past increases, the future recedes. Possibilities decreasing, regrets mounting."

So wrote Haruki Murakami in his novel 'Dance Dance Dance', sent to me by the wonderful Alice.

This was how I felt in Melbourne. In Tokyo, it's almost as though the clock has stopped ticking and each moment holds its own promise of possibility.

Time here has wound down to a halt -- suspended, as the fast paced metropolis spins around me. A vacuum, a centrifugal force with me suspended in its centre, hanging and observing all the new things around me.

I merely need to reach out and grab onto whatever it is I want.

Reading a novel by Murakami reminds me of everything I love about reading and writing. He possesses a completely unique perspective, an insight into human nature that is nothing short of uncanny, and conveys this in beautiful prose. 'Kafka on the Shore' is also an amazing story that doesn't fail to blow your mind, and will make you think differently about life - even if just for a little while.

3 comments:

  1. That is so weird! I am reading Kafka on the Shore right now! I know what you mean about being inspired to write! I feel it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. NG. I am so jealous that you are getting to read it for the first time as I'll never get that back. I really hope you get as much out of it as I did. I've read a few of his other books too and I am in awe of his style.

    May I also recommend Banana Yoshimoto if you've not read her yet. Simple tales, but emotionally brutal. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. GG, thanks for the recommendation! Will check her works out once I get through the 4 novels on my bedside table!

    ReplyDelete