Pages

14 April 2006

They're Baa-aack!

Upon entering my apartment last night, I tripped over the large pile of rubbish that has accumulated near the front door, as I keep missing rubbish day due to severe oversleeping and a general inability to get out of bed in the mornings. I hit the floor with an almighty crash and found myself eye-to-eye with the first visitor of the season at Gaijin Girl Headquarters -- a bloody big cockroach. We stared at each other for a while, both testing the water, sizing each other up. A Mexican standoff, of sorts.

After what felt like an interminable amount of time, I made the first move and slowly stood up from my rather ungainly position on the floor. Keeping eye contact with the critter, I poured us shots of Absinthe, and then called the shots: Get the hell out of my apartment when you’ve finished your drink! Cockroach concurred and my night was pleasantly free from the sound of spindly appendages tap dancing on the floorboards.

For now anyways.

--

Stuff for you:

Click here to find the answers to all your burning questions about cockroaches. Go on, you know you want to.

Check out this video sent to me by Absolutely Tokyo! for an entertaining view of cockroaches gone mad in Japan.

5 comments:

  1. That roach video is hysterical! I don't want to jinx myself but I very rarely see them here as opposed to the multitudes I used to spot in Brisvegas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had my fair share of cockroaches this year in our new house. Am very glad it is getting colder so hopefully they will all die. I'm not going to watch your cockroach video - I have got enough nightmares without it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey VK - i thought the vid was hilarious too. the response appears to be very japanese too! you're lucky you don't get cockroaches. perhaps it's more about my housekeeping, or lack thereof.

    Hi Susi, shit sorry i've not been in touch for a while. shall mail you tomorrow! sorry you had the critters in the new place. bummer. big kiss for the little one from gg. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I particularly loved the salaryman rushing to take a pic on his keitai :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. VK, I know! It's just gold. And the guy with the too-short trousers and white socks stomping on all the critters he can see. Too much.

    ReplyDelete