Pages

17 May 2006

"I might repeat to myself slowly and soothingly, a list of quotations beautiful from minds profound - if I can remember any of the damn things."

So said the wise and venerable Dorothy Parker, who also coined the classic:

”The transatlantic crossing was so rough the only thing that I could keep on my stomach was the first mate.”

Naturally, I can’t remember any of my favourite quotes either, so I started searching. I've mainly picked out those related to travel, as there are way too many to choose from.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

”When you travel, remember that a foreign country is not designed to make you comfortable. It is designed to make its own people comfortable.” Clifton Fadiman

”Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living.” Miriam Beard

I think that travel comes from some deep urge to see the world, like the urge that brings up a worm in an Irish bog to see the moon when it is full.” Lord Dunsany

A man travels the world over in search of what he needs and returns home to find it.” George Moore

“Like all great travellers, I have seen more than I remember, and remember more than I have seen.” Benjamin Disraeli

“The most important trip you may take in life is meeting people halfway.” Henry Boye

“The traveller sees what he sees. The tourist sees what he has come to see.” G.K. Chesterton

“Now I know why they tell you to put your head between your knees on crash landings. You think you're going to kiss your ass good-bye.” Terry Hanson

“I soon realized that no journey carries one far unless, as it extends into the world around us, it goes an equal distance into the world within.” Lillian Smith

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing." Helen Keller

"No matter where you go, there you are." Unknown

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeing new landscapes, but in having new eyes." Marcel Proust

"Travel is the frivolous part of serious lives, and the serious part of frivolous ones." Anne Sophie Swetchine

“And that's the wonderful thing about family travel: it provides you with experiences that will remain locked forever in the scar tissue of your mind.” Dave Barry

I will leave to my all-time hero, Mae West, to sum it up,

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough."

4 comments:

  1. I really like the Mark Twain quote... even though I have absolutely no idea what 'bowlines' are.

    Travel changes you. I don't think you can ever quite go back to person you were before once you've experienced life from another standpoint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some pretty badass ones in there. Although, it seems sometimes like a good quote involves just making an observation or statement and then switching it.

    I live to travel, and I travel to live. BAM.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi b, i like the mark twain quote too, as i respond well to challenges to ignore safety. definition of bowlines:
    1. Nautical. A rope attached to the weather leech of a square sail to hold the leech forward when sailing close-hauled.
    2. A knot forming a loop that does not slip.
    erm, i had to look up leech too, coz i don't know what that is either:
    1. Either vertical edge of a square sail.
    2. The after edge of a fore-and-aft sail.
    i was then going to look up fore-and-aft but figure this has to stop somewhere...
    i kinda like the quote from the eccentric irish lord. what's not to like about a sentence that contains the words: worms, bog and moon.
    i totally agree with your wise words re travel. that could be a quote in itself - can i quote you on that?

    hi hamish, profound words indeed. you're right about just switching the concept. perhaps we could all come up with one and i'll post them at a later date. hmm.
    travelling truly opens one's eyes, yet it is only by opening one's eyes that one can truly appreciate travel. POW.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Gentlemen! You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"

    President Merkin Muffley
    Dr. Strangelove

    ReplyDelete