Pages

19 May 2006

Marketing Madness


I wonder who is responsible for coming up with this little gem? I can just see the creatives sitting around the big table, snorting the white stuff, and playing word association games that eventuate in the link between women and cows - very probably via udders, or negative experiences from the divorced guys on the team. If there was an award for advertising, you know who I'd be giving it to? Not the people who think cows and soap are related in any way. I know, I know, I think I get it... cows, milk, cream, [big leap] to creamy soap, and smooth, silky skin.

I guess their marketing strategy worked, as here I am talking about it, and I bought it because it was so funny (although that may not have been quite the intention behind the concept). However, a product has to hold its own and this one failed. Was it a nice, creamy soap that lathered well? Yes. But it also left me smelling strangely of chlorine.

7 comments:

  1. GG, the chlorine was probably to disguise the stench from the milk products this soap claims to contain.I dont know about you, but smelling of milk, is not my idea of a good fragrance!!! What were they thinking! Working at an advertising agency, I just wanted to tell you that we are not all crack heads babe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi nooh, yeah, i quickly changed to another brand! the soap smelt quite good at first, it was only after an hour or so that i realised it was a bit dodgy. hehe, i know the translators/interpreters aren't crack heads, but i shall stick with my stereotype about the creatives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your sterotypical rant GG ;p

    And Nooh...I'm with you, if I wanted to smell like milk...I'd have a baby :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is a classic comment, vk. just brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We were in Prague last weekend and stumbled on a sports drink called 'Erektus' (pictures in my blog) and all I could think was... what genius. It didn't matter that the drink tasted like crap, I happily plunked down the $$ just to say I'd purchased my very own erektus!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just stumbled across your blog and it is hilarious...i am still laughing at the strange Japanese inventions below...
    Hope you start updating again soon, i will keep checking back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I was in the military we spent a couple of weeks on a field exercise in hot, dry central California. Sometimes we'd eat what are called MRE's (Meal Ready to Eat) and sometimes we'd have hot meals delivered to us by Humvee. On average the food was very good, but the military was always experimenting with methods of preserving food under all kinds of weather conditions. Apparently, someone dreamed up the idea of treating milk with preservatives so that it didn't need to be refrigerated. With every hot meal, we were instructed to take two half-pint cartons of this milk per man. The taste is best described as indescribable. And the best part was the brand name: REEL-FRESH.

    ReplyDelete