Pages

12 July 2006

Living in Tokyo

I'm seriously thinking that I'll be back in Australia within the next few months. I'm weighing up a lot of things to make the decision, but the odds are definitely against staying in Japan. Things are just not working out, and haven't been for some time.
There are, however, a lot of things I will miss about living in Tokyo:
  • Standing on a railway platform with hundreds of other people and watching a 200 metre long train slowly back up the one metre that the driver overran the marker.
  • Bowing to motorists when they give way to let me cross the street. And watching them bow back from behind the wheels of their cars.
  • Noticing a used condom on the ground at a particular corner near work every morning. It's not there in the evening, but is always mysteriously back again the following day. This week's colour theme is purple.
  • Hearing the Clown shuffle around the office. He often pauses behind my desk and I have to stifle my giggles as he peers over my shoulder at my computer screen. Also sitting in fear that he will pat me on the head or shoulder, as he has taken to doing.
  • Automatically opening and closing taxi doors. I always faff this up and open and close them myself, to the horror of the driver.
  • The public transport system running like clockwork.
  • Convenience stores.
  • The cleanliness of the city and the fact I feel safer here than anywhere else in the world.
  • People casually wearing surgical masks in public as though it's the most natural thing in the world.
  • Men waving their wands at tiny construction sites.
  • Earthquakes.
I'm sure there are a lot more, but this is a good start.

6 comments:

  1. You better not leave before August. I'm going via Japan to Vladivostok and I'll need a guide to show me all the cool places.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi fat. yeah, i reckon i'll still be here as it will probably take a few months to get out of things like phone contracts, apartment, job, and er, actually trying to find some money for the flight home. yay, your trip sounds so exciting - i can't wait to read about your adventures there. hehe.
    it'd be good to catch up for a refreshing ale. or ten. be warned though, it's freakin' hot here. feck, now i'm feeling the pressure to find some cool places...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's too bad that things are not working out for you.
    I just found your blog and rather enjoy reading it, I am considering going to japan in about a year so it's been fun reading about what happens there.

    What ever decision you make I hope that you will be happy with it, but for me it's back to reading back-posts so that I can catch up.

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi renwick,
    thanks for stopping by and for your kind remarks. drop me a line if you want to know anything in particular. i may not be able to help, but could point you in the right direction for when you get here.
    cheers, gg.

    ReplyDelete
  5. See, that is just so cool... people bow at you from their cars!! And they wear purple condoms! I really need to make it to Tokyo one day so I can walk around humming 'kung fu fighting' while bowing just for the hell of it.

    Australia's nice too... and since it sounds like you've thought it through, I wish you the best with your return home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. b, tokyo is all about fads. purple condoms this week, next week, glow in the dark. who can keep up?
    australia is nice, even if it is the arse end of the world. however, like most things, i haven't thought the whole going home plan through properly. i may be randomly bowing for a while yet. any jobs going in dresden?
    thanks for your wishes though.

    ReplyDelete