Pages

1 November 2006

Hear Me Purr ... Before I Roar

I used to be surprised when people told me that they thought I was tough and scary when they first met me. Then they were surprised after they got to know me and realised that I am just a softie, and that they didn't see the kittycat for the lion. I mean, yeah, I'm strong, but that doesn't make me tough. Far from it. But I am a Leo, so I actually can be ferocious when it comes to protecting people I care about or standing up for the rights of those who can't stand up for themselves.

Animals can't stand up for themselves a lot of the time. Not against the human animals, anyway. I read something recently and I've copied some of it below, or you can read the whole thing on the BBC website.

A cat is recovering after an attack in which fireworks were taped to its side and set off.
The animal was found on Sunday morning suffering from substantial burns to its side and covered in masking tape.
The young, male cat was rushed to an emergency veterinary clinic for immediate medical treatment.
Christina Harkness, the vet who cared for the cat, said: "We are very pleased that he has survived this ordeal, as the attack could have quite easily killed him.
Natalie Smart, spokeswoman for the Scottish SPCA, said attacks of this sort happen every year in the run up to bonfire night.

A Lothian and Borders Police spokeswoman appealed for the cat's owner to come forward.
She said: "Fireworks in the wrong hands are dangerous, but in this case, could have been fatal for both the animal involved, and those who were abusing them."
This incident comes a year after a cat was attacked with fireworks and thrown onto a bonfire in Hamilton.

Some of you reading the above might think that's kinda funny; the visual in your head might make you chuckle quietly to yourself. Some of you might hate cats and think they deserve no better. If you fall into either of these categories then fuck off now. I cried and cried when I read that horrible story, and now I'm mad as hell.

I happen to love cats. I used to have one -- she was my best mate for the five years we were together. But more than that, I just love animals. They are pure of heart. And how any human has the capacity or desire to want to taint that, or harm or hurt them in any way, is completely beyond my comprehension.

People like Natalie Smart, who work for organisations like the Scottish SPCA, deserve respect. They must have amazing strength to deal with what animal rescuers/workers must see week after week … year after year. The same shit, the same brutality and cruelty towards creatures that are unable to protect themselves, and the utter meaninglessness of the acts. Whichever way you look at it, it's cruel and it's sadistic. It can't be sport or fun to see a wee critter suffer, it’s just some fucked-up person’s idea of power. I am also amazed that the spokeswoman finds it within herself to worry that the acts might have been fatal for those inflicting them. That's big. I say knock yourselves out. Blow your heads off and your lives away. Just leave the animals out of your sick games.

Mum and Dad took all six of us (daughters) trout fishing when we were kids. Dad was so disappointed whenever he caught something because we all cried and made him throw the fish back in the water. We thought it was mean to take them out of the water and have them flop around gasping for air. It's that old argument again - nurture or nature? Were we brought up to be compassionate and respectful of other people and creatures -- fish, in this case -- or was it inherent in our natures from birth? Either way, it's nothing that parents can't try to instill in their children, and I'm wondering what the fuck the parents of these (presumably) kids have been doing to teach and set an example about how to treat, and not treat, animals and each other.

There's nothing to learn from this post. No insight to be gained. I just needed to vent. In a way, I feel defeated. I don't know what to do to make things better for animals and at the moment I feel the burden of the stupidity and innate cruelty of humanity weighing me down. It's all about education and that's up to parents, and it’s also up to the community to reinforce that most basic of practices – respect for fellow creatures.

--
Why not bookmark The Animal Rescue Site and click on the Fund Food for Animals button daily to help feed the animals that are in shelters or sanctuaries. It takes two seconds from your day.

4 comments:

  1. I absolutely hate people who do horrible things to animals. I have a hard time feeling bad for them if they get their face blown off in the process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is disgusting. I could tell you some horrible stories about the neighbourhood I grew up in - I don't know what the hell kind of impulse cause these guys to act so cruel.

    Cheers for stopping by my blag btw.

    ReplyDelete
  3. heart breaking stuff. These people have no souls to do that sort of thing and if they are capable of doing that, its scary to think what else they are capable of doing. No wonder our world is full of psychos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comments. There's nothing left for me to say as I think my post expressed my outrage. Good to know there are other animal lovers out there.

    Kav - no worries, your blog rocks. You're a great writer.

    ReplyDelete