Pages

1 January 2007

Akemashite Omedetou Gozaimasu!

Happy New Year!

Although I didn't blog much in 2006, it was a lot of fun and I enjoyed getting to know new people through it. I made friendships with other bloggers and I love that I met folk I would not otherwise have met. I feel privileged to have had little glimpses into your lives and have enjoyed witnessing your journeys. Thanks to those of you who continue to stop by and say hi - you make the whole blogging thing worthwhile.

On reflection, 2006 wasn't a highlight in the overall picture of my life. It certainly wasn't an easy year, and it felt like an up-hill struggle most of the time - two steps forward and one step back. I do know, however, that I needed to experience what I did in order to learn the lessons I needed to learn. I now feel stronger and better-equipped to head into 2007 with a sense of positivity and hope, neither of which I could muster in abundance last year.

I don't usually make resolutions, but I have a list of things for 2007 that will address the changes I need to make. My own inner struggles are minimal compared to the current global crisis: conflicts in the Middle East and the lack of resolution; the AIDS epidemic - 1400 people are infected with HIV every day in South Africa alone; poverty; and global warming. I feel I've been sitting by too long and need to contribute to making things better.

The sun and the moon will come together and become bright. This will bring about change, and the opening and dawning of the new year.

I wish all the very best for you.

5 comments:

  1. i dated this jan 1st and i thought that's when it would be published, but blooper had other ideas. i won't be around a computer tomorrow so wanted to post before i leave the house.

    come back and read it on new year's day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Akamashite omedetou gozaimasu. Kotoshi mo yoroshiku onegaishimasu.

    I hope you managed to finish your osouji in time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Akemashite Omedetou Gozaimasu! GG.

    Mayuko, my Japanese teacher had me making New Year's cards for my friends, all of which involved that phrase (and pictures of piggies for year of the boar) …
    I'm a middle aged man and we sat there with scissors and card and paper cut-outs and glue like a couple of kids, munching Pocky and drinking lemonade … I love Japanese lessons …

    Here's hoping you have a much better year of it in 2007.

    ReplyDelete
  4. happy new year, vk! i hope 2007 is a terrific one for you.
    er, osouji is still a work in progress. although when i say a work in progress, it means i haven't yet lifted broom, mop or cloth. however, i'm sure gghq will be spiffy just in time for new year's eve 2007.

    dive - happy new year to you too. your japanese lessons sound like great fun. i wish i shared your enthusiasm for the language but i just don't. i keep viewing it as a real burden to learn, which means i haven't bothered. it is on my list of things to do this year, though.
    thanks, i'm feeling really good about this year. here's hoping yours is a great one too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mark BensonJanuary 20, 2012

    Yes it is true that many get infected with HIV AIDS in South Africa but the things are gradually improving and in turn plenty of flights to South Africa are coming full of enthusiastic travellers and the Africa lovers.

    ReplyDelete