Pages

29 May 2007

Movin' On Up

Crikey.

I've been in Japan for just over two years and I'm already onto my third house move. I don't know how this compares with my moving seven times in five years when living in Melbourne, as I'm no math freak, but let's just say I should be very good at it by now.

Well, I'm not.


I'm the laziest bint you'll ever have the misfortune to meet. Rather than pack my belongings together, I throw things away as that's the easiest option. And life is meant to be easy; I truly believe that. My parents would die if they could see the useful and practical everyday things I get rid of, because they're the sort of folks who collect stuff. Me? If it means I have to carry the stuff on my back, then I'm not going to hold onto it for very long.

A good mate is getting a van on Saturday and will help me move my remaining bits'n'bobs into his shed. Hey, he's Australian, and no self-respecting larrikin would live anywhere, including Tokyo, without a shed. Then, as he and his family will be in Australia for summer (but winter in Oz), I will stay at their house for a few months. They have a fully equipped and functioning kitchen, complete with bench space(!!!) that I can use to heat up my convenience store food. Oh, and they're also within walking distance of SpyHQ, so so-long subway suckers!


I haven't had time to feel sad about leaving GGHQ. Most of my energy is currently going into trying to learn how to be a Spy. I'm supposed to be packing now, but have decided that writing this is more a procrastination cathartic endeavour, and will probably stay up all night Friday night throwing things into garbage bags for the rubbish collection. Feck, I hate change, and everything is happening all at once.

Next week may be rather uncomfortable. Even though we're moving my crud this weekend, I won't actually go to the House of Cards until the following weekend. I shall be here with my futon, a week's worth of work clothes, and hopefully a book. And nothing else. I won't even have the computer. I can't check blogs from work (yet) so I'll really miss catching up on all your news. I'll have access again in a week or so.

Wow, this is a shite post, but it has served its purpose and it's just about time for some zzzzs.

Sayonara, baby.

21 comments:

  1. Good luck GG, hope it goes smoothly. If it doesn't, just throw it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Throwing things away is much easier, but just this morning I garbage picked a snow sled that was in perfectly good condition just to give it to Good Will.

    good luck with the transition!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the move. After my move, I think I'd just as soon throw all my stuff away too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with the move, mate. I'm a bowerbird and a masterpacker so the thought of you throwing stuff away rather than moving it gives me the shudders - but hey, each to their own.

    Hope the new place works out as a good home for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. I am an accumulator. I have stuff that I've had since I was like, a year old. My parents just moved house, to downsize now that they're empty-nesters and all, and I got a ton of stuff dumped on me. My living room, bedrooms, dining room, and garage are now chock-a-block with cardboard boxes. I have no idea what is in most of them, or what the hell I'm going to do with them, but I can't possibly get rid of it as I would miss it.

    I'm hoping to offload most of it to the Fledgling Sparrow when she moves out, hahaha.

    That's a pretty good deal on the crib; sounds like you'll be set up to be stylin'. And thank God, no more subway. That post was really panic-inducing. Good luck on the move, and we'll be here when you return!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I throw stuff away and then say,"why did I do that?"

    Being a spy is easy, get a hold of an out of print book "Old Knudsen's guide to the cold war" poison darts in umbrellas, micro film all the high tech stuff you need.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Me..I like to collect stuff...just stuff, i like memories.

    Good luck with the move...I hope that you will get some cool gadgets to play with as a spy ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, GG.
    Walking to work? You'll really miss your nice relaxing commute on the quiet and picturesque Yamanote line.
    Can't wait to see the photo of the new GGHQ.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kav: Thanks! Am surrounded by garbage bags as I write this.

    Robyn: In Australia, I'd drop off all my stuff at charity shops, but I can't find any here. Fortunately, I've made a concerted effort not to accumulate too much stuff.

    Sassy: I think my move will be a lot easier than yours sounded.

    Vic: You are the masterpacker! I'm dying to live somewhere where I can settle down and actually start collecting things that I know I won't have to offload or lug back to Australia.

    FS: I can't believe you've had stuff since you were a year old! I guess I can be terribly practical in a lot of ways and figure if it doesn't serve a purpose, I don't need it.
    I have no idea what is in most of them, or what the hell I'm going to do with them, but I can't possibly get rid of it as I would miss it.
    That's a classic sentence. That makes me think: if you don't know what's in the boxes, how can you miss the contents?
    It is a good deal at my friend's place. I've stayed there most summers and over Christmas when they're away, mainly to feed the fish, which I managed to kill last winter. I think I'm only allowed to stay there this time because there are no living things to look after. I cannot tell you what a blessing it is to be so close to work. I was becoming seriously traumatised.
    See you soon.

    Old man: Yeah, I often regret getting rid of stuff, too. I'm offloading the bed and I know when I move into my own place again, I'll be all 'Doh!'
    Ha, being a spy is hard work. The first two weeks have been hateful and I'm not sure what to do. I guess getting a copy of your book will be a step in the right direction.

    Renwick: Memories are good. I find I just don't need a physical reminder - it's all up in my head.
    Thanks for your kind thoughts re the move. It will be fine (she says at 8.19pm without having packed a box yet. And friend is arriving at 7.00am in the morning. AAAAAaaaaaaaaaah!

    Boss: Yup, I'll be within walking distance from work or just one subway stop away. Bliss. I feel so bad for people who have to do it everyday.
    I'll post a pic of the House of Cards just for you. The new GGHQ won't happen until about August.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cool. I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mind your leg GG.

    Remember what happened to Sassy when she moved!

    Hope it all goes o.k. for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not only should you get rid of the things you don't need you should do something drastic with your junk. Like feed it to a shark. And then blow up the shark just for good measure.

    ps. Spying seems like fun. Not for the likes of me who'd be all like, 'Hey, you'll never guess who the Belgian Ambassador hit with a snow mobile last winter...' and sharing gossip, possible trump cards, with absolutely everyone I'd ever met.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey, I'm glad things worked out. How great that you can avoid the commute, not to mention geting all that extra sleep time!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy move, you can feng-shui yourself lots of good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lol....and I thought I had moved alot!! I have similar 'packing' principles tho....what doesn't fit in my little car goes in the bin....way easier than the traditional packing malarky! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good luck with the move hun. Theres a reason i've stayed put for so long, I still have boxes I haven't unpacked from 11 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That post was not shiite! Isn't that a religion or something? Anyway, i need to inform you that as a faithful reader of your blog, I'm tagging you. Whatever that means...

    1. I have to post these rules before I give you the facts.
    2. Each player starts with eight random facts/habits about themselves.
    3. People who are tagged need to write their own blog about their eight things and post these rules.
    4. At the end of your blog, you need to choose eight people to get tagged and list their names.
    5. Don't forget to leave them a comment telling them they're tagged, and to read your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I always find throwing things away to be very theraputic - good luck with it all

    ReplyDelete
  19. So are you back or are you just back?

    ReplyDelete
  20. She's off doing secret agent stuff.

    Check across the street, K.
    See that van?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ugh moving here is so painful - hope it went well and gambatte with the new adventures!

    ReplyDelete